As we ring in the new year and everybody vows to make and follow new resolutions, I’ve decided to do something different. I don’t really believe in resolutions because I don’t follow through with them and there’s nothing really encouraging me to follow through, and I’m sure there are plenty of other people out there just like me. So instead I’ve written down a list of 18 promises I make my dog.
These are promises that I’ve made to her in the past, promises that I make to her every day and promises I will follow through on for the rest of my life. There are things that I’ve learned since having Sahara and things that I would have done differently so the only solution is to promise to do better today and every day in the future.
Promises I make my dog
- I will never leave you
- I promise to never (purposely) hurt you, seriously I don’t step on your tail on purpose
- I promise to always make you a priority
- I promise to “accidently” drop my food for you
- I promise that no matter what you will always have a spot in my bed
- I promise to let you destroy toys every once in a while so you can teach those toys who’s boss.
- I also promise to “let” you win a round of tug of war every now and then
- I promise the adventures will never end, whether it’s a hike or a trip to Home Depot or just a drive around the block, my passenger seat has your name on it.
- I promise to let you be better dressed than me and to never let you leave the house in a bad outfit
- I promise to make sure you’re happy and feel loved (aka smothered)
- I promise to talk to you and let you talk back
- I promise there will be no end to the forced hugs and cuddles
- I promise to try to surprise kiss you as much as you surprise kiss me
- I promise to let you lead more
- I promise to use you as an excuse to get out of unwanted social engagements
- I promise to play peek a boo with you even if you don’t know we are playing
- I promise to laugh with you and cry with you
- I promise I will love you forever